Dialogue of Poets: Classical and 20th-Century Poetry in Spain and Latin America|
Spring 2014 not offered
IBST 232, LAST 232|
This course samples the rich tradition of Spanish-language verse from its beginnings to the present. It is structured by four primary dialogues: (1) the creative reception of classical poets (Saint John of the Cross, Góngora, Quevedo, and Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz) by leading 20th-century poets from Spain and Latin America (Neruda, Lorca, Machado, Borges, Paz, and Rossetti, among others); (2) the interplay of poetry and essays by those same poets; (3) the round-trip fertilization of popular and elite, oral and written forms of poetry; and (4) the crossing of linguistic, ethnic, religious, and gender boundaries that has shaped Spanish-language verse from its beginnings as love lyrics embedded in Hebrew and Arabic poems (jarchas) to the creative stimulus of other romance languages (especially Galician and Catalan) in Spain, through Latin American poets open to Amerindian and African influences, and Hispanic American poets exploring bilingualism in the U.S. We will read lyric, epic, and burlesque verse on a wide variety of themes (mysticism, sex, history, reason, travel, love, politics, sensory perception, death, and poetry itself, among others); reflect on how poetry can best be enjoyed and understood; and consider how poetry has been produced, heard, read, and used (ritual and spontaneous song; minstrel performance of epic and ballads; courtly patronage, literary academies, and manuscript circulation; private reading of printed texts and commodification; and 20th-century singer-songwriter musical settings and politics). Although no prior expertise in poetry is expected, a willingness to engage it closely (textually and historically) is essential.
||Gen Ed Area Dept:
|Course Format: Discussion||Grading Mode: Graded|
||Fulfills a Major Requirement for: (HISP)(LAST)(RMST)
A course reader with poems (including song lyrics) and essays on poetry by major Spanish and Latin American poets including Judah Halevi, Ibn Zaydun and Walladah, Garcilaso, St. John of the Cross, Góngora, Quevedo, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, Rosalía de Castro, Lorca, Machado, Borges, Neruda, Alejandra Pizarnik, Paz, Ana Rossetti, Luis Palés Matos, Tino Villanueva, Joan Manuel Serrat, and Violeta Parra. And D. Gareth Walters' THE CAMBRIDGE INTRODUCTION TO SPANISH POETRY: SPAIN AND SPANISH AMERICA.
|Examination and Assignments: |
Three short (3-5 pp.) essays, one short oral presentation (3-5pp. or 5-10 minutes), the recitation of a poem, and one longer (5-7 pp.) final paper constitute 70% of the grade. Preparation for class (including regular short response papers), attendance, and informed participation count for the other 30%.
|Additional Requirements and/or Comments: |
SPAN 232 is intended for students who have completed SPAN 221. Students who have not done so should consult with the professor before preregistering. Readings, written assignments and class discussions will be in Spanish. Only COL students may take this course CR/U.
|Drop/Add Enrollment Requests|
|Total Submitted Requests: 0||1st Ranked: 0||2nd Ranked: 0||3rd Ranked: 0||4th Ranked: 0||Unranked: 0|