Dialogue of Poets: Classical and 20th-Century Poetry in Spain and Latin America|
LAST 232, COL 226|
This course samples the rich tradition of Spanish-language verse from its beginnings to the present. It is organized around four primary dialogues: (1) the creative reception by leading 20th-century poets from Spain and Latin America (e.g., Neruda, Lorca, Machado, Borges, Paz, Rossetti) of classical poets (Saint John of the Cross, Góngora, Quevedo, and Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz); (2) the interplay of poetry and essays by those same poets; (3) the round-trip fertilization of popular and elite, oral and written forms of poetry; and (4) the crossing of linguistic, ethnic, religious, and gender boundaries that has shaped Spanish-language verse from its beginnings as love lyrics embedded in Hebrew and Arabic poems (jarchas) to the creative stimulus of other Romance languages (especially Galician and Catalan) in Spain, through Latin American poets open to Amerindian and African influences, and Hispanic-American poets exploring bilingualism in the U.S. We will read lyric, epic, and burlesque verse on a wide variety of themes (mysticism, sex, history, reason, travel, love, politics, sensory perception, death, and poetry itself); reflect on how poetry can best be enjoyed and understood; and consider how poetry has been produced, heard, read, and used (ritual and spontaneous song; minstrel performance of epic and ballads; courtly patronage, literary academies, and manuscript circulation; private reading of printed texts and commodification; and 20th-century singer-songwriter musical settings and politics). Although no prior expertise in poetry is expected, a willingness to engage it closely (textually and historically) is essential.
||Gen Ed Area Dept:
|Course Format: Discussion||Grading Mode: Graded|
||Fulfills a Major Requirement for: (HISP)(LAST)(RMST)
||Past Enrollment Probability: 90% or above
|SECTION 01 In-person only|
|Major Readings: Wesleyan RJ Julia Bookstore
D. Gareth Walters, THE CAMBRIDGE INTRODUCTION TO SPANISH POETRY: SPAIN AND SPANISH AMERICA. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002. Paperback ISBN-13: 9780521794640 or ISBN-10: 0521794641.
A course reader (purchased through Wesleyan University Printing Services) with poems (including song lyrics) and essays on poetry by major Spanish and Latin American poets including Judah Halevi, Ibn Zaydun and Walladah, Garcilaso, Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, Góngora, Quevedo, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, Rosalía de Castro, Lorca, Borges, Neruda, Ana Rossetti, Gioconda Belli, Juan Gil de Biedma, Tino Villanueva, Joan Manuel Serrat, and Violeta Parra, among others.
|Examinations and Assignments: |
Two short (3-5 pp.) papers, one short oral presentation (3-5pp. or 5-10 minutes), the recitation of a poem, and one longer (7-10 pp.) final paper constitute 70% of the grade. Preparation for class (including regular short response papers), attendance, and informed participation count for the other 30%.
|Additional Requirements and/or Comments: |
SPAN 232 is intended for students who have completed SPAN 221. Students who have not done so should consult with the professor before preregistering. Readings, written assignments and class discussions will be in Spanish. Only COL students may take this course CR/U.
|Instructor(s): Armstrong Roche,Michael Times: ..T.R.. 07:10PM-08:30PM; Location: BOGH115; |
|Total Enrollment Limit: 18||SR major: 10||JR major: 3|| || |
|Seats Available: 7||GRAD: X||SR non-major: 1||JR non-major: 1||SO: 2||FR: 1|
|Drop/Add Enrollment Requests|
|Total Submitted Requests: 1||1st Ranked: 0||2nd Ranked: 0||3rd Ranked: 0||4th Ranked: 0||Unranked: 1|