Queer Theory/Queer Politics|
Fall 2018 not offered
|Course Cluster: Queer Studies, Urban Studies|
This course will explore the social construction of sexuality within the U.S. and the emergence of heterosexuality and homosexuality as sites of identity, belonging, and conflict. In the first section of the course, we will contextualize heterosexuality, homosexuality, and queer identities within the theoretical paradigms of social construction, feminist thought, intersectionality, and queer theory. We will begin to consider the relationship of sexuality to other categories of identity. The readings will help us to think about queer identities in relationship to social, cultural, and geographic arenas across space and time. The second part of the course will look more directly at the insights of queer theory and critiques of identity as a category for understanding experience and engaging in politics. Queer theory will be analyzed beside social movement literature. In this section, we will continue to concentrate on how sexuality relates to and is dependent on racial and gendered constructions and dynamics of power. In the last section of the course, using the historical and theoretical knowledge covered so far, we will question what/who exactly is a queer subject and what can be considered LGBTQ issues and politics. In this section, we will seek to expand an understanding of queer politics and LGBTQ studies to incorporate questions of social justice that include sexuality but aren't limited to it alone. As a whole, this class will address contemporary understandings of LGBTQ studies and politics from both an intersectional and social justice framework to examine ideas of identity, political rights, and changing notions of community.
||Gen Ed Area Dept:
|Course Format: Lecture / Discussion||Grading Mode: Graded|
||Fulfills a Major Requirement for: (SOC)
Annamarie Jagose, QUEER THEORY
Michel Foucault, HISTORY OF SEXUALITY
John D¿Emilio, CAPITALISM AND GAY IDENTITY
Adrienne Rich, COMPULSORY HETEROSEXUALITY AND LESBIAN EXISTENCE
Gayle Rubin, THINKING SEX: NOTES FOR A RADICAL THEORY OF THE POLITICS OF SEXUALITY
Siobham Sommerville, Queering the Color Line
Paisley Currah, GENDER PLURALISMS: UNDER THE TRANSGENDER UMBRELLA
Dean Spade, NORMAL LIFE
Mogul, Ritchie and Whitlock, QUEER (IN)JUSTICE.
|Examination and Assignments: |
Final Paper (30% of total grade). Weekly Response Papers (20% of total grade). Two Take-Home Essay Exams: 20% each (40% of total grade). Class Participation and Attendance (10% of total grade).
|Drop/Add Enrollment Requests|
|Total Submitted Requests: 0||1st Ranked: 0||2nd Ranked: 0||3rd Ranked: 0||4th Ranked: 0||Unranked: 0|