The objective of this course is to introduce the topic of corporate governance with a focus on large publicly traded corporation. At the firm level, the importance of corporate governance is justified by the complexity of the contractual environment where owners (shareholders), executive managers, board of directors and other stake holders interact. We will cover topics in ownership and control, managerial monitoring and compensation, the structure and diversity of the board of directors, and shareholder engagement and activism. Also, in the wake of various corporate scandals worldwide, the role of corporate governance codes and regulation in setting new standards and best practices is evident. We will look at the evolution of these corporate governance standards, both in the U.S. and internationally.
||Gen Ed Area Dept:
|Course Format: Lecture / Discussion||Grading Mode: Graded|
||Prerequisites: ECON101 OR ECON110
||Fulfills a Major Requirement for: (ECON-MN)(ECON)
||Past Enrollment Probability: Not Available
|Major Readings: Wesleyan RJ Julia Bookstore
1. Text: Randall Kroszner and Louis Putterman. "The Economic Nature of the Firm: A Reader" 3rd Edition, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
2. A Survey of Corporate Governance,¿ by Shleifer and Vishny, Journal of Finance, 1987, 52:737-783.
3. ¿Board Independence and Corporate Misconduct: A Cross-National Meta-Analysis,¿ (Neville, et al.) 2018, Journal of Management, 45(6): 2538-2569
4. Corporate Governance in China: A Survey, (Jiang et al), Review of Finance, 2020, 24(4): 733-772.
5. ¿Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,¿ (La Porta et al.) Journal of Financial Economics, 2000
6. ¿Differences in Governance Practices between US and Foreign Firms: Measurement, Causes, and Consequences¿ (Aggarwal et al.), Review of Financial Studies, 22(8): 3171-3209.
|Examinations and Assignments: |
1. 2 case write-ups (3 pages each)
2. An academic article presentation
3. Final project where students will carry out a corporate governance analysis
4. Attendance/participation for a grade
5. No final examination
|Additional Requirements and/or Comments: |
|Instructor(s): Nguyen,Thanh Times: ...W.F. 01:20PM-02:40PM; Location: DWNY113; |
|Total Enrollment Limit: 30||SR major: 5||JR major: 5|| || |
|Seats Available: 12||GRAD: 0||SR non-major: 5||JR non-major: 5||SO: 5||FR: 5|
|Drop/Add Enrollment Requests|
|Total Submitted Requests: 0||1st Ranked: 0||2nd Ranked: 0||3rd Ranked: 0||4th Ranked: 0||Unranked: 0|